Saturday, June 16, 2007

Lean Lessons at Nor-Shipping 2007

I have just finished a week in Oslo, Norway, attending Nor-Shipping 2007. I have always known that "Lean" has global significance and relevance, but I learned this week that it also faces the same casual disregard from many companies, as it does in North America. My take-aways from the show:

Competitive Advantage
As I explained our service to exhibiting companies at the show (our service - providing production design and manufacturing deliverables to shipyards) I found myself wanting to speak about the one point which may separate us from the typical marine design office, of which there are many around the world. My focal point, other than the fact that we specialize in production design and not initial design, was Lean. I explained that by being a subscriber to the philosophy of Lean, and trying to operate our business by these principles, we not only seek to continually improve our process and strip waste, but we can also pass this knowledge onto customers, which can result in savings for them.

Value-Added Service
As we make headway with improvements, we are anxious to share our results and lessons with customers. There is always something to learn, especially through failure, but we are all anxious to avoid mistakes. A great way to avoid mistakes is to learn through someone else's. When we learn these lessons vicariously, we eliminate the risk. Of course, this means that by adopting successful processes as proven by another party, we can experience success with minimal investment in addition to minimal risk. To be honest, Genoa has willingly volunteered to be a guinea pig. The risk, by our own measure, is minimal since we adopt new processes and measures under carefully planned execution, using the principles of Lean. However, not everyone understands and has faith in Lean principles like we do, and certainly not everyone is willing to change without a proven track record. It is the "Devil-you-know, vs the Devil-you-don't" syndrome. With this perspective, we have a lot to offer in added-value. I would also add, that the best lessons learned are through our own mistakes. It hurts, but it sticks.

Ice-Breaker
This week I often talked about Lean, rather than stick to a "sales pitch". Not only was I more comfortable myself in this approach, but all parties involved in the conversation were more comfortable and sometimes opened up into a sincere chat about business, process, troubles and success. These types of conversation are always valuable and enjoyable, and sometimes lead to valuable insight and market intelligence. One just has to be careful not to waste peoples' time at a busy trade fair....in other words keep the trade fair a Lean process within itself.

Casual Disregard
My last comment concerns people's awareness of Lean. After a couple of days at Nor-Shipping, it was evident that I was doing more sharing about Lean than receiving. I was not annoyed with this, but I was concerned. Third day into the show, and while walking out of the hotel, I saw one of the hotel conference rooms in use, with little kits of lego scattered around the room and throughout the tables. I then noticed the title on the white board "Using TPS To Increase Shareholder Value". It was Ernst and Young; obviously undergoing an introductory Lean course. I was thrilled! I felt like barging into the room and asking them a thousand questions! It occurred to me that Lean must be about sharing in both directions. This empahasized for me the importance of our Lean Consortium, where the environment is all about mutual sharing and helping one another. The only way to ensure this continues is to work on increasing awareness. Trying to practice Lean by oneself will not work. Lean involves analysis and specific measures and tools to achive results, but one of the most important aspects of it all is communal brainstorming and sharing of ideas. Whether internally within the company, or externally between companies, the tools and ideas we bring back from any session of facilitated and careful brainstorming and problem solving, are of tremendous value. Without sharing and communication, Lean is nothing more than micro-management. Just to bring it back to the top....when people ask me if I am concerned about sharing and talking about Lean, whether I may be giving away a competitive advantage, I can now respond unquestionably that it is the communication and sharing that will help us continue. If we don't share and communicate internally and externally, Lean will die at Genoa.

I think I had a good show!

No comments: